Drama and Poetry Declamation Competition
The 87th Annual Declamation Contest for local middle and high school students of German will be held on
Thursday, April 27, 2017 at 4:30pm in the College Avenue Student Center (126 College Avenue) in Room 411BC. Parking will be available without a permit in Lots 26, 30, and the College Avenue deck.
This year, the Declamation Contest will take place in conjunction with the Department End of Year Awards Ceremony & Graduation Celebration.
Please make sure to register by April 14, 2017!
- Students are encouraged to recite a poetry or prose selection OR to perform a dramatic scene or song.
- Selections should be appropriate for the student’s interest and ability.
- All selections must be delivered in German.
- For group performances, each participant must have a speaking role.
- No amplification is allowed.
- Each performance is allotted a maximum of ten minutes. Time will be kept.
- No student who has had more than three years of German-language schooling in a German-speaking country should compete.
Each teacher is allowed to register up to two performances in each competition category:
BEGINNER: students in their first year of German study
ADVANCED: students in their second year or higher of German study
Judges will score the performances in the following three categories: memorization and preparation; clarity and pronunciation; and feeling and presence.
For each category, the performance may receive a maximum of 10 points and a minimum of 1 point. The maximum total number of points a performance may receive from one judge is 30 points. The maximum total number of points a performance may receive overall is 90 points.