Applicants to the German Department should have a solid background in German language and culture or related fields. Fellowships awarded by the German Department combine stipends and teaching appointments and cover tuition and health care. In addition, departmental funds are used to support students’ summer projects, conference travel, and research. Competitive university grants are available for research and writing.
Applications for the fall semester are due January 15th. We will continue to review applications on a rolling basis. Applications for the fall semester are due September 30th.
For application forms and instructions please see the Graduate Admissions Web page.
- a statement of purpose, indicating current academic interests and long-term goals.
- a writing sample (15 pages) in German or English, demonstrating the applicant's abilities as a literary scholar
- three letters of recommendation from persons familiar with the applicant's work
- all undergraduate and graduate academic transcripts
- TOEFL scores required for international students
- completed application and fee as per the School of Graduate Studies.