This course, taught in English and German, is intended for undergraduate students without previous knowledge of the German language. The course develops basic reading competencies in German. The texts read in the course are chosen from the humanities, the natural sciences, and the social sciences.
By the end of the semester students will be able to:
- apply specific reading strategies to reading a text in German;
- read a text in German with correct pronunciation;
- recognize some grammar phenomena and apply this knowledge to understanding;
- apply some basic passive vocabulary to reading German texts;
- efficiently use online and paper-based dictionaries.